Today I bring you the Ugly side of being blind. For no reason but to help you understand what happens to me in different
situations of my daily life living with blindness.
1. Falling in love is just so hard on the knees!: Title is a famous song from the rock band Aerosmith. I relate to it different. Once a hunk and very popular
with the ladies, today I wear dark glasses and hold a white cane in one hand. A crossover image of Snoop Dog and Al Pacino from the movie Scent of a woman.
Who in the right mind would fall in love with this character?
2. I can't drive!: Yup, just can't do it! Means I get to pay loads of money to get somewhere using all sorts of public transport. Sometimes I have to beg
friends and relatives to help me get to my harmonica class and places of interest.
3. There is no free lunch! Well I never know when there is a sale happening, when there is a discount in a store or where the beans are kept. Simply because
everything on offer is either on display or in a flyer in the daily.
4. You are furniture, Literally! When you are with someone, a question that is supposed to be directed to you is directed to the person with you. So you
get to hear stuff like: Would he want to eat something? Would he like some water? Like I don't exist.
5. People love to communicate in sign language while being around a blind person.
6. My favourite: Where is it? Oh, it's there or Oh, it's here. Here and there I am sure you are pointing at some direction to where it is but I don't get
7. Everybody knows some hospital or doctor that can treat my eye condition. Brilliant! This opens up a whole world of new opportunities for me to visit
highly qualified doctors and make use of my health insurance.
8. I am the object of everyones pity, sympathy, empathy, inspiration and thank God that's not me! Honestly sometimes I enjoy the empathy part of it.
9. People are hesitant to use the phrase "See you later" around me. They sometimes don't even use the phrase "Let's catch up".
10. People you know and are well acquainted with will sometimes just walk by you and pretend to have not seen you. I don't mind because I return the favor.
Hope you enjoyed reading this post. Please share with your network using the share buttons below and comment with your thoughts...
If you haven't subscribed please do by filling out your email ID in the form below and clicking on submit (Check your INBOX OR JUNK folder for the subscription confirmation email.
You can now support The somebody, nobody, anybody and everybody Blog by making a purchase on amazon by clicking HERE or any of the banners on the website. Thank you for your support!
Like what you read? Share it!